Monday, August 18, 2008

Why did I think having a dog would be fun?

As most of you know we inherited DBF's(Justin) childhood dog(Sofie) from his mother on mother's day this year. Everything was going fine, minus the excessive dog hair that comes with a shedding lab during warm weather. Then two weeks ago Sofie started loosing fur right around her tail area. We examined her and found an open wound. Justin then took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a skin infection and shaved so that the wound could get air, as well as given pills to help heal the wound.(We spent $82 dollars at the vet, for pills the visit and the shaving)
Side note:
We are guessing that there is something in our grass that is not agreeing with a labs fur, Justin's brothers dog had the same problem when they were living with us last winter.

Back to the story:
Well it started to heal and so DBF stopped giving her the meds and instead of the wound continuing to heal it has gotten a HECK of a lot worse. In fact it reaches up her back past the front of her back left leg, and is still slightly bloody. It doesn't help that the dog gnaws on that area and scratches every where else every chance she gets. Which we can always tell when she is gnawing because there is a distinct sound that comes with that process. Oh ... I forgot to mention that this wound and the gnawing and scratching triples the amount of hair that collects on my floor, my clothes and the toddler, even after vacuuming.

I keep telling Justin that we need to get Sofie one of those cone like dog collars, but he says it wouldn't stop her she would find a way to get to the spot no matter what it took. But I still think it would help my sanity and my vacuum if we invested or invented one of our own.

OH CRAP... that remind me I need to find out if Justin gave her the pill this morning?
Oh good he did!!

Here's the wound today:

6 comments:

A Nurse said...

All pills must be taken! Does he not know that? It sounds gross!

Karyn said...

I hope you can figure it out...poor dog and poor you for having to clean up dog hair, it gets everywhere

Lost in Tarnation said...

I have to giggle that your dog has an open Womb.....

Hopefully it gets all healed up soon!

Karyn said...

Poor doggie...looks painful

Missives From Suburbia said...

Oooh.. definitely use all the pills.

(P.S. I think why Lindsay's giggling is because male dogs don't have wombs.)

Julia said...

um...open wound maybe? Hope it gets better soon, I second the cone idea.